Week 11 Comics As Contemporary Literature

For this post I read a little bit of The Tale of One Bad Rat,  Box Office Poison, and Every Girl is the End of the World for me. The Tale of One Bad Rat was appealing because being homeless is hard and  gives a certain cloak of invisibility to someone. Plus, I think it was semi grounded in reality so you could follow it, but had emotional parts in visually portraying how she actually feels in her head. I really like how they incorporate also the past upon how she got into the situation she was in. The style was appealing and you could always tell the characters apart so that was a plus.

Next, I read Box office poison which was kind of confusing at first, but I got really used to how it transitioned. I love stories that revolve around the same group of people or a location so seeing them all together was kind of fun and how they crossed over into one another's life. There were also so really interesting cuts so there would be two characters standing in front of a picture then it would the same composition but two different characters and a picture so you really couldn't skim it. It was very unpredictable and things would just happen and you as the reader and the characters in it would kind of just accept it until it was brought up again later. I would definitely re-read this cause I feel like there was a lot I did not catch. I also really enjoyed the introduction to the cast and I was definitely looking out for people and they made an impression.

Okay, So I read through the whole of Every Girl is the End of the World for me and like? nothing happened which surprised me. It literally was just a slice of life. There was no climax or plot really accept for this guy being like "Does she like me?" and then "haha nope" I don't even know what is happening with him and I thought his cough would play more of a part. It just felt awkward which I guess is how he felt. It's a bit weird cause you know he gets a wife later (because of the introduction to cast) and you keep looking for her but she never comes. I do like how he showed night with lines drawn over it and the non-framed date and time, but honestly... It just kind of exists.

Comments