Week 12 Woman's Comics

For this week, I looked at Bitch Planet, Pretty Deadly, and the Diary of a Dominatrix. I really liked the colors and aesthetic of Pretty Deadly, however, in just reading the first issue I am not sure how much information I acquired. The world itself seems really fascinating and I really like the folklore and western aspects of it. The base level of the girl pickpocketing a very important binder is establish though. I think the transition of being asked where it is at gun point to the girl with the vulture coat burning  it just cause is very ironic. Bitch Planet was also very aesthetically pleasing. I think that it reminded me of Alita a bit in how it was an origin story or set up. Further, you see why she has become the way she has. I don't know if it really registers how young she is when she started killing though. I have to think that was semi traumatic despite having good motivations behind it.

Oh my word, Diary of a Dominatrix was so oddly relatable. I think it's the fact that she is so casual and honestly kind of tired that makes it work. I feel like it represented it well in that sex work is work. She has clients who stand her up or are just plain annoying. The fact that she does it on a budget and in her way. She actually gives tips and writes small notes. I get a kick out of the costume paper doll aspects cause paper dolls are usually meant for a young audience. I think what's appealing about the heroin is that attitude of not taking things too seriously. It's a very different life she lives and it seems to be working out. I think it is semi amusing how she draws guys. It's like the reverse of how people sometimes draw sexualized woman. In that sense too, her actual drawn proportions of herself are very different.  Even the story starting with her putting on makeup and "showing" that difference. This is everyday life for her and I think it is smart for her to treat it like profession and go home. When I lived and worked in Ulla Student Center as an RA that made me crazy.

Comments