Week 13 Superheros


              I read the Arkham Asylum Batman comic and Ms. Marvel. I might also have time to read Watchmen comic, but I'm going to start here. Arkham Asylum was very different in look and tone then some of the previous other works I have read for this class. It felt more like a collage and vaguely distance with the way it was rendered with all the noise and grit. It felt like sand or someone hit sharpen a ton. That being said the story was mostly easy to follow with flashbacks to the journal of Arkham. I felt it really dealt with the breakdown of the mind. A lot of things were seeded and use of Harvey's coin was interesting. Also, generally, the plot twist of the head of the asylum opening it all up because he was convinced batman was the one who made everything mad. It felt very revealing with the word association and to be immersed in that world. People got stabbed a lot in this and dark things really happened to the max and I don't think you really get to see that side that much. I did like the dive into Arkham because I think it enhanced the world a lot. It's cool to trace that lineage. I did not like the joker's chin. His rendering was very disturbing and the choice of red and white words was sometimes hard to read, but I understand why they did it to see the print clearly. I think that it really hit home the mania of everything and I don't know how you would recover or even talk about it.
              Next, I read the two pdfs of Ms. Marvel and it was very different. First off, the cover I did not realize it could be used as a photo moment until the end of the second volume and that is so cool. I thought the representation was nice and it was interesting how the avengers were already established in her world. Everything she did felt natural to how an actual teen would act in the sense that she snuck out as a last resort. I think that it's nice to see her have supportive friends too. I guess I would be worried as well if a fog came down on my friend who does not usually come out to parties. It is interesting how in that fog there is also the lesson of you swung the other way, but did it make you feel better. And her sense of nativity of what a hero is. I know it's super random, but I wonder if her avengers fanfic will change as she saves more people. At least it shows she has a good core when she saves someone and to her that is what really mattered even past the super powers. I wonder if she would have jumped in without them, or even the fact that she intervened without truly understanding herself at the moment says something. Either way, I found it compelling and the fact that things won't turn out the way she thinks they will definitely hints about how much growth that can occur in her as well as inspire others.

Comments