Week 2 : Little Nemo and Peanuts


             Little Nemo was super cool! I wish I was that bizarrely creative. There was cool compositions with interesting colors. Reading it at a large print was way better. I love that sometimes they mess with scale of animals or people. It is understandable why the panels are numbered and the writing underneath definitely shows the time period. To that sense, I can see someone just browsing the images or just reading the words. Overall, the sense of pattern is strong. I always wonder how Little Nemo will wake up or who will be calling out to him. It reminds me of Tom and Jerry or Peanuts in the sense of the adults not being seen and it is a kids world. The overall creation vibes of it remind me of Harold and the Purple Crayon. I can definitely see things being pitched in the room. Especially the theme based ones such as valentines day or meeting Father Time.

           Peanuts will always hold a place in my heart because I grew up in Minnesota and we have all the snoopy statues everywhere and what was Camp Snoopy in the Mall of America. I feel that the comic has not changed a lot through the ages compared to what it could have done. They expanded the cast and the line confidence feels like it increased. I looked at the the comics from 1959 and from 1991. There are words that do feel a bit outdated in the 1959 version like Linus says he has a "husky stomach" after Lucy calls him fat. But it is pretty timeless in how it sets up for a punchline. He does utilize screen tones and varies his amount of panels.  I would say he uses as few words as possible to tell the story relying of visual gag that we may not understand until the end. But He keeps a good almost slice of life theme through all the years such as Charlie Brown pitching for baseball games, Kite flying, and sitting at Lucy's booth/the brick wall. They also acknowledge holidays and things like school. Peanuts definitely gives a sense of social habits of everyday kids even now.

Comments