Week 13: The Killing Joke


1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?
It was really good. I really like the weave between the two stories and it wasn't explaining Batman's past, but we as the audience knew. It was intresting to try to be a step ahead of the Joker. It was a bit hard for me to read in the beginning, I had to keep pausing cause the psychological trauma of being shot in the spine and everything that happened there was a lot to take in. It was a bit hard for me to read cause I'm very empathetic. I don't know if I every felt that human connection to Batman in this. Rather he seems to be on the same min level as the Joker. He is the hero per say, but he seems socially distanced and not quite human more of an entity. Gordon going "we have to show him that our way works" and yet still not really diving into that way makes Batman seem like another god like entity pleading with another.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?
I don't know if I made any connection to the work besides the gut reaction of that is messed up. I'm honestly not a fan of batman or the villains. It just seems like they don't really care about anyone or anything and that's just fine? Like I'm very practical and whose paying for all the walls Batman punches people through. I get feeling like a failure despite getting support, but at the same time is that lost going to drive me to go on a murder spree probably not. I'm too practical to take it to either extreme and I  cope with greviences in a much more positive way. I thought Barbara and her father had a sweet interaction before it all went down. I think that there is an element to both of those men I will never understand which is probably why they feel isolated and lash out. But also if I was in this universe, I'd be more of an Alfred like character.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?
I think this could be a really cool podcast like how they did the wolverine marvel one. There are so many sound effects and it's always raining dramatically at the right times in Gotham. More things would have to be explained for the ear and I don't know if they could find a way to do the flashbacks, but I think hearing the inflections in the tone could really add another level to the piece instead of having the mind make up how they sound. Mostly, I  think utilizing the movement between the left and right speakers and reverb could be really interesting the mad world of the Joker.

4. In what ways does this story differ from the typical expectations the reader might have for a superhero story?

It doesn't really have a clear ending with the Joker in jail. I think we are suppose to feel sympathy for the Joker, but I can't seem to. It is the whole idea that Batman and the joker are the same with how they coped with a close loss. They both have their own ways of coping and choice that they made which got them to where they are and they can only understand each other because of that. Although I get the idea of the compassionate superhero, I think it was a bit overdone with Batman being "I don't want to kill you" which is his thing, but they have the chemistry of old friends and pals despite punching one another. I don't know if they could consist without each other.

Comments