Week 14 Future of Comics and Webcomics

I read the Failing Sky and The First Word which both had things I've never seen before in how you moved around and controlled the pace of the comic. In the First word you used the arrow keys to move in the same direction. I didn't know what it was about at first and so I was a little bit lost and the comic itself was super dark even with my screen brightness up. There was a weird mash of photorealism and more of an art style which I thought was interesting. It was cool to see the thoughts and the minor animation made it more lively. The actual evolution transition was really cool and created such depth in both movement and layer.  There were other neat moments like heads turning or the transition from Sumer to winter. I think seeing the bones inside felt like a theme and so seeing them flash under faces really got the point across in a way a book may not have. I think it's relatively amusing how this was just a recreational drug trip.

I had so much trouble navigating Failing Sky at first between knowing which way to move and then hit next. When we lost Peter in the water I didn't know which way to turn either. I feel like I and the author got a hang of it around the middle of the chapter. they start using one panel at a time too for speed. Plus, I really like that the volumes are set up by the things she grabs off the boat. The hand drawn traditional ness of it is really refreshing in such a digital paint world and their handwriting is nice. I wonder if they have like a key for how they draw each letter. I would definitely read more and I think there is a lot of potential in it. I like the panoramic views and the steps down that I have to swipe. Sometimes the rhythm gets off when you have to click next or the page takes time to load, but it kind of makes me read faster and want to know what happens.

My Biggest thought is what are these artists going to do now that adobe is getting rid of flash around the end of the year in 2020?

Comments